Friday, July 1, 2011

1979 Topps COMPLETED!

I picked up the last card that I needed to complete the set of my youth. 1979 Topps baseball holds a special place in my heart.
Yesterday, I received a big box of cards from reader Anthony. I will get to the full contents of the box later this weekend, but one special card that was was enclosed needs a mention this morning.
Yup, a common. Like Anthony wrote in his note, "weird how the last card one needs to complete a set always seems to be a common." So true.
Thanks for the trade A.H.

6 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME - congratulations. '79 is my birth year and I will definitely be commencing the quest soon. Any advice or recommendations on how to start, endure and finish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LC.
    Ryan, The first thing I did was create a list of needs. Then, I went to my favorite little hole-in-the-wall card shop with my list. The guy knocked out probably 100 cards from the list, cheap. Next, I put the word out among bloggers. The trade offers rolled in. I didn't buy one card from eFee or Sportlots or anywhere else. I set my mind early that condition was not going to be a big deal. Most of the cards that I started the set with were the ones that I collected as a kid. They have beautiful soft corners and creases from the days when condition didn't mean squat to me. I wanted a set that has the 'feel' of my youth. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! As one of the sets from my youth, I'll hit the '79 set someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true. I needed Mookie Wilson to complete 1988 Donruss!

    ReplyDelete