Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Boys, Here's a Dollar."


COMPLETED 6/31/2011


I've told the story here before, but it bears repeating. When I was 12, my parents took us on a family trip to Florida. We stayed at my Aunt May's house. When the adults wanted to get rid of us kids for a time, they would give me and my brother each one dollar and point us towards 7-11. We could get a pack of cards, a small Slurpee, and a Jolly Rancher. It was enough to keep us busy for an hour. The year was 1979. I was hooked on baseball cards. I have some cards from earlier sets, but it was in 1979 that every bit of allowance money handed out was used towards the purchase of baseball cards. My Dad had a change can/bin in his bedroom armoire. We would even "borrow" change from there on occasion to buy cards.
I am now on a quest to build the set of my first ball card love.

Mom and Dad, thanks for pushing me towards that 7-11 so long ago.

1 comment:

  1. Is that the year with the baseball game on the back of the card?

    ReplyDelete