Monday, May 9, 2011

Gaylord Was a Mariner? Huh.

If I can get one of these patch/auto's from the 2006 Upper Deck Artifacts set cheap enough, I get it.
Maybe it's the whole 'pitchers aren't as collectible as hitters' thing. Maybe it's that Gaylord was not a Nolan Ryan type of dominator. Perry cards are relatively cheap. The guy is a hall-of-famer.
When I bid $11 bucks on this card, I really didn't think I would end up owning it. It's numbered 05/30. I got it for just over $10 bucks shipped.
I didn't really take a good hard look at it when I bid. I saw a hall-of-fame pitcher, a low serial number, an auto, a patch, and it is from a set that I am tinkering with.
Today, I took a close look at it. It features Perry in a Mariners uni. I have no recollection of Perry as an M. Wanna know why? HE PITCHED ONE SEASON FOR THEM! 1982. Odd that UD would select a Mariners jersey and image for him. He did pitch 10 season for the Giants. You know what would be cool? A card of Gaylord with swatches from the seven teams he pitched for.

4 comments:

  1. I have always thought that the multiple team patches would make cool cards of Rickey Henderson and Kenny Lofton (not a HOF but I liked him) as well.

    But great buy on the Perry. I remember him as a Mariner because the first time i ever saw him was on a 1982 Topps sticker (that I had for a long time) as a Mariner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember him as a Brave. He was only with them for a year, but there's a card of him in a Braves uniform that I tend to picture most when I think of him.

    I should probably try to pick up a card like that of him myself! I've always had a bit of an interest in Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaylord was at on old Charlotte Knights (then I believe they were the AA affiliate of the Indians) signing autographs. I remember my dad brushing me up on my baseball history during the game. I had a few autographs from Mr. Perry, but I have no idea what I did with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaylord was the first Mariner player to gain any fame in Seattle. When he won his 300th game as a Mariner it was the first time to see the Mariners logo in big news stories.

    ReplyDelete