Monday, March 14, 2011

The Fab Five

1993 Sports Edition
Last night's ESPN 2 hour documentary about the University of Michigan basketball program was mostly excellent.
I say mostly, because the big man of the Fab 5 would not participate in the making of the movie. Chris Webber was noticeably absent. The biggest star, the most recognizable name, declined. Lame Chris, lame. Jalen Rose came across as a very real person to me. A regular guy. I have a newfound admiration for Jalen.

The two years that the Fab 5 were together were ultra exciting around these parts. Living in Michigan at the time, the basketball fever was at an all-time high. The Pistons were at the height of their run with Isiah, Laimbeer, Dumars and company. Along came the five freshman with their baggy shorts and black socks. As mostly a baseball fan, I got swept up in the hoops fervor.

The Fab 5 never won it all. As freshman, they lost in the NCAA Championship game to the Duke team with Laittner , Hill, and Hurley. Then as sophomores, lost in the final game to North Carolina. The infamous Webber time-out game was a heart breaker.

2 comments:

  1. I recorded it and plan to watch it tonight. I didn't realize C-webb didn't participate. That stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge Michigan fan and have been an avid collector of Jalen Rose cards since the Fab Five first landed in Ann Arbor. I don't know why, but Jalen was always my favorite. I had to DVR the show, but am going to watch tonight. Disappointed Chris didn't participate much - it seems like this was Jalen's pet project and you'd think he'd help his buddy out. I can't wait to watch it tonight.

    ReplyDelete