Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Collector Get's Over

I am trying to build the 2010 Topps Magic Football Relics set. It's 73 cards strong and each card is numbered to /25. Yeah, it's been kind of expensive, but not like chasing an autographed card set. I am getting down to the point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and will just about pay anything to gobble up the last few remaining cards that I need.
A few days ago, Joe C. reported a Masterpieces find at a joint called SportsBuy.com. Huh? A new place for me to check for the needed cards? Yes. I browsed around and found TWO cards that I needed. Marion Barber and Wes Welker.
It's amazing, really. I was needing 5 cards, and two of them were here. Barber for $10 bucks and Welker for $20 bucks What's the amazing part? The same two cards that I needed were also on eFee being bid on by me. What do I do? Let the eFee auctions run out, hoping to snag them for less than $10 and $20 respectively? Or, buy the two at SportsBuy and retract my bids.
I split the difference. I bought the Barber, and am bidding on the Welker.
But SMG, how did you 'get over' on this deal?
Here's how. When the Barber and Welker cards hit eFee last week. I immediately sent the seller an offer. He was running a standard 7-day auction, with no BIN or Best Offer. I sometimes send sellers offers just to see if I can get a card without the rigmarole of waiting 7 days and being out-sniped at the end. My offer... $50 bucks for both cards shipped. The seller replied almost immediately with a polite, "That's a tempting offer, but I think I'll just let the auctions play out."
After getting that answer, I jetted over to SportsBuy and bought the Barber #18/25 for $13 bucks shipped.
It arrived today. Here it is.
As soon as I bought this card, I went over to eFee to retract my bid on this card. Quick, go take a look and come back. I'll wait. Notice anything unusual about it? It's my card. #18/25. The seller of the card I bought on SportsBuy also had it up for auction at eFee. I didn't have to retract my bid. The seller took down the auction.
Yes, it's possible that the Barber could have been had for less than $10 bucks in auction. Not likely though. Cowboys fans are determined, deep pocketed, and aggressive in collecting their cards. Most cards in this set are selling for over $10 bucks. Partly because of the low print run, and partly because the set is almost a year old now and pickins are getting slim.
The way I see it, I got over on this guy for $15 bucks. We'll see how I do with the Welker. The auction ends tonight. At last check, the price was at $26-n-change. I should have snagged it for $20 I guess. I will update this post later.
UPDATE 11:00 pm
I won the auction for the Welker. $29 bucks shipped. So, to review. I got the Barber for $13 bucks and the Welker for $29 bucks, for a grand total of $42 bucks. I offered the dude $50 bucks a week ago. It's a small win, but a win none-the-less.

8 comments:

  1. I saw the Barber went done and I wondered if you had picked it up. That's a pretty cool way that you did - nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. Congrats and good luck on the Welker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, I can't wait to see the set when it's all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. It's gonna look sweet when it's all laid out together. The colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! $8 can buy more cards! Good luck with the rest of the set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need 4; Dez, Cadillac, Witten, Greenway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done!!...good luck on the last 4!

    ReplyDelete