Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Voice of my Youth


We have lost one of the legends of broadcasting. Ernie Harwell passed away today.
Some of my earliest memories of baseball are tied to the little transistor radio that I had in my bedroom. Ernie painted a word picture as he described the action. If you listen to the current Tiger's announcer, Dan Dickerson, you can hear a little Ernie in his style. Even though Ernie has not broadcast a game in a few years, I can still hear his voice in my head. I will miss him. Rest in peace Ernie.

3 comments:

  1. We lost one of the last true gentlemen today. I still miss listening to him broadcast games. If you get a chance read his autobiography, a truly fantastic read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the stories coming out today are very special. What a guy he was.
    I will check out the book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel your pain. i will be a mess when vin scully passes.

    ReplyDelete