Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Kind of Man He Was

Ripped from an article in this mornings Detroit Free Press:


Quoting Twins announcer John Gordon

Lead Twins radio play-by-play announcer John Gordon, who is from Detroit, told this story tonight about Harwell: “My mother passed away two weeks ago. Last year, I called Ernie and said, ‘Ernie, where do you live?’ He told me he lived in Novi.“I said, ‘My mother lives in Novi.’“He said, ‘No kidding, how far away?’ “I told him. He said, ‘That’s very close to where I live. I’ll have to go over and visit her.’ “I said, ‘My mother is 95. She can’t see or hear.’ “So the next day, I was visiting my mother, and who walks in but Ernie Harwell. I said, ‘Come on. You’ve got to be kidding me.’ “My mother was so happy. She told everybody at the home, ‘Ernie Harwell visited today. Ernie Harwell visited today.’

A great announcer, but a better man.

No comments:

Post a Comment