Thursday, October 21, 2010

Trying to Figure Out a Way to Enjoy a Set

I am working on an 88 card set. The 2006 UD Artifacts Auto-Facts Signatures are set landscape style. You can see set details over at the UD website.
The cards are not very thick. About the same thickness as a regular baseball card. Just about any type of top-loader or Ultra-Pro sheet will hold them.
I don't want to just place the cards in protectors and then stick them in a box or binder somewhere. I want to see them. Enjoy them. They are great looking cards.
Currently, I have them in screw-down or magnetic holders. I then wedge them into one of those cheap ass 20 card holders from Michaels craft store. The problem with this system is the design of the frame slots is set for vertical card orientation. So, the cards are kind of sloppily wedged into the rails.
My other concern with "displaying" this set; I don't want the auto's to fade. I know everything fades in light.
What's a good way to display and enjoy baseball cards?

4 comments:

  1. I guess that depends on what you want to spend. They make archival glass that filters 97 to 99% of uv light, I have no idea what it costs but you should be able to talk to someone at a framing store and they probably have all sorts of ideas that would work for you. But you are going to be paying for it. I like the look of multiple framings, putting them all together might be a little visually overwhelming but breaking them up like you already have them is a great way to display them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you already have a second mortgage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... this set has some pretty awesome names in it. Good luck with it. I don't have a good solution to your problem, since I'm in the same boat.

    I have my Sharks autographs hanging in those same Michael's holders, but I just noticed that a bunch of them (mainly 90's BAP on-card autos) have significantly faded in a little over a year. None of the the cards are in direct sunlight either.

    So... I'm looking forward to reading people's suggestions too. Right now, I have a couple of my autographed sets in binders so I can flip through them whenever I want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that depends on what you want to spend. They make archival glass that filters 97 to 99% of uv light, I have no idea what it costs but you should be able to talk to someone at a framing store and they probably have all sorts of ideas that would work for you. But you are going to be paying for it. I like the look of multiple framings, putting them all together might be a little visually overwhelming but breaking them up like you already have them is a great way to display them. Good luck.

    I asked about this. For one of those sized frames, it was like $90 according to the woman. Not worth it IMO.. gotta be a better way
    But yea you def dont want to put it in there so it doesnt fade

    ReplyDelete