Friday, May 7, 2010

My First Packs of Chicle

I stopped by my favorite little card shop, BB's Sportscards in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I grabbed 5 packs of 2010 Topps Chicle baseball. Cost, $20.00.
I am not very impressed by these cards. I love retro styled sets. I love cardboard feeling cards. I don't love these. My main problem is that there are so many different styles of painting in this set. Let me get this out there. I am no painter. These artists obviously have talent. I am probably being too critical. The Matsui and the Aybar are complete disasters. Only Mrs. Matsui and Mrs. Aybar could like these. The young has shading issues. His arms look like they are bent the wrong way. There are many bad looking cards.
I am not a half empty guy. There are some awesome looking cards in the set. I am spotlighting 4 here. These cards are in perspective. Shaded beautifully. Look fantastic.
I didn't pull a relic or auto. The Sanchez has a Bazooka Joe logo on the back. That must be some sort of SP. I got 2 cards with National Chicle backs, #79 Branyan and #262 Gorecki.
sets like this usually grow on me. I will most likely buy more. I can't not open packs.
You can get full set info over at BasebalCardPedia.
******************************************************************************
GROUP BREAK UPDATE: It looks like there are going to be some great teams available for the June SMG & CCC break. You can see a list of available teams on the group break main page. Starting tomorrow morning at 8:00am, anyone wanting to get in on a team can do so by leaving a comment on the group break main page, or hitting me with an e-mail. First PayPal's received get the open spots. Send PayPals to sewingmachineguy at gmail dot com. Click the header above for details.
We are busting 5 boxes of 2008 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts, 1 box of 2009 Bowman Chrome, and one retail box of Upper Deck Series II. Boxes from DA CardWorld (great people, great prices).

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on Chicle. Personally, I like the variation in styles between cards--I think it makes the set really fun. HOWEVER, as you point out, some of the cards are just horribly done. They are bad paintings and that's all there is to it. I was particularly disappointed with the Tigers in the set, by and large. That said, there are some wonderful looking cards out there, and I see more and more via the blogs every day.

    My hope is this: bring Chicle back for 2011. It was a good first effort, I like the concept, the execution (as a set) and some of the artwork. Now, just work out the kinks in your choice of paintings and artists and we could have a real winner on our hands.

    ReplyDelete